Many things are happening
in Act II of the “The Dolls House”. In the beginning of the act, Nora is
freaking out about the idea of Krogstad telling Helmer about the Forge that she
has committed back in Italy. Trying to suppress the crime that she
committed, Nora asks Helmer if she can just give Krogstad a chance to keep his
job. (it is good for Nora to ask Helmer this because Krogstad will then decide
not to tell Helmer about the secret if he gets his job back). Helmer denies
Noras request for Korgstad getting his job back for 3 reasons. The first reason
why he wants to fire him is because since Helmer was a kid, he did not like
Krogstad as a friend. Second, Krogstad does not give that much respect for him
(a good example of this is that Krogstad would call Helmer by his first name
Tarvald instead of Mr. Helmer which is more respectful). And third, Krogstad’s
past isn’t so good of a positive outlook on him because Krogstad committed a
forge in the past. Nora then gives Helmer an attitude, which upsets him and then
makes him send the letter to Krogstad explaining that he is fired.
The author shows that Helmer has a lot of pride and that he
is unperturbed about other people’s problems. After Helmer leaves the
room, Dr. Frank enters the room to tell Nora that he will soon die because of
his sickness. This conversation gives Nora an idea. Nora decides to flirt with
Dr. Frank because she wants to then ask him for money. Nora’s plan was to use this money to pay Krogstad
back the money she owned him. Dr. Frank then confessed his love to Nora, which
disturbed her so she decided not to go with the plan. Dr. Frank leaves and
Krogstad enters the room to talk to Nora about the job that he just lost and to
tell her what he will tell Helmer about Nora’s crime if he doesn't get his job
back and a promotion. Nora denies Krogstad’s request and says that she will commit
suicide. Mrs. Lindes tries to help Nora by convincing Krogstad into not telling
Helmer the truth. A reason why Mrs. Linde decides to help is because she knows
how to deal with Krogstad because she had a relationship with him before.
Things are about to get spicy like a bowl of chilly in the next Act. IF YOU
WERE NORA, WOULD YOU PUT YOUR LIFE IN DANGER BECAUSE OF THE SITUATION OR WOULD
YOU LIVE AND GET ON WITH THE TRUTH?
If I was Nora I would tell the truth. It would feel like it would be the right thing to do. It's better coming from you than someone else. I personally dont like living in danger. So I would tell them the truth.
ReplyDeleteIf I were Nora I would deal with my consequences and live on. The only reason her life was in danger was because what she decided to do and what she kept to herself. If she dealt with the problem earlier and her and Helmer were more open with each other I believe it wouldn't have been so dramatic.
ReplyDeleteHey, if I were Nora and we're going under as much stress as she was I'd probably think of killing myself as well. However in her case she does have 3 children and a husband and at this point in the story she still loves her husband to the extremes thus I don't think she will kill herself. I believe these problems will resolve another way other then death but Helmer and Nora can not stay together through this crazy event. Also, I think because Mrs.Linde has history with Krogstad she can help this problem disappear.
ReplyDelete