In Act I of “ A Dolls House”, the
author, Ibsen, shows how life was like for the character back then and what
they went through (such as relationships, family struggles, antifeminism and
most importantly faith, which is the main plot of the story) which reflects to
our generation too. A good example of a person who went through the situation
listed above is Nora. In the beginning of Act I, Nora eats the Macaroons
silently so her husband, Torvald Helmer wouldn't catch her. “ Hasn't Miss sweet
tooth been breaking the rules in town…No Torvalds.”? The author foreshadows these false statements
made by Nora by using the Macaroons as a symbol of her lies, such as Nora’s job
and also the forge that Nora did back in Italy when Helmer was sick. The reason
why Nora has not told Helmer her secrets is because it will ruin their
relationship, Nora may go through retribution, lose her house, and she
simply doesn't want to embarrass Helmer. Helmer in the play is very disreputable
to Nora. He is antifeminist, which means that he is incredulous that
women should have equal powers as men do and believes that women are dumb.
Similarly, when Helmer calls Nora these names, it signifies stupid, crazy and
silly showing that Nora is frivolous to him. “Is it my little squirrel
bustling about?”
Nora is afraid of life and herself because of
the two hidden secrets that might just unfold if krogstad blackmails her about
the forge. What do you think Nora should do? Should she leave her husband, children,
home and the macaroons behind her and move somewhere else far away to forget
about the problem. Or, should she face excruciating reproach,
which will ruin her relationship with her husband.
I commented these peoples blog post
ReplyDelete- Saba
- Savannah
- Breanna ( period 4)
- Amara
I think Nora should face the consequences even if it means ruining the relationship with her husband. Honestly though I don't think she would need her husband because she has her own ideas and if Kristina could do then she could do it too. If she leaves then she loses her children, but if she stays she might have a chance to salvage her relationship with them. She shouldn't have leave anything behind because she's a woman that the fact she committed forgery. Also you never ever leave macaroons behind!
ReplyDeleteI like the points that you made. As for the question, I think Nora should face the consequences of her actions by just telling Torvald the truth. Even though it could mean the end of her relationship and potentially losing her children, it'd be better if she just came clean. Otherwise the truth may out in an ugly way, that might make everything even worse than it already is.
ReplyDeleteNora should just tell him the secret. She just has to confess up with it.
ReplyDeleteI would probably run away if I were Nora just to avoid the problem.
ReplyDeleteYou made a great point. I believe Nora should just confront him
ReplyDelete